Paleo Porridge

Paleo Porridge 1

Paleo Porridge

Serves: 1

Happy Thursday! I hope you are having a great week! I am happy to tell you that it looks like things are finally back to normal on my computer! I don’t know what, how or why, but after a few clicks of some buttons yesterday morning things started working again! I was amazed, but soooo thrilled and thankful to not have to deal with that headache for a 5th day!

Today’s recipe is another one of those single serve, quick recipes that I make very often! It is very simple and very versatile! You can bulk it up to make it a full meal or simply enjoy it as a snack! Either way, it makes the perfect, warm meal on these cold mornings! It also is a great replacement for those who aren’t eating grains but are craving that morning oatmeal! I hope you enjoy! :)

Paleo Porridge 3

Fit Ingredients

• 3 large egg whites
  • 2 tbs (14g) coconut flour
  • 2 tbs (13g) ground flax
  • 1/2 c coconut milk (carton – or milk of choice)
  • mix ins of choice! (fruit, nuts, seeds, pumpkin, dried fruit, nut butters, etc! You can even go savory and add in ground turkey, salsa, avocado!)

Directions

1. In a microwave safe bowl add your 3 egg whites.

2. Add in your flax and coconut flour.

3. Top off with your milk.

4. Mix well.

5. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes depending on your microwave*

*be sure to watch this so that it does not explode all over your microwave! You may need to stop it every 45 seconds or so and give it a quick mix.

6. Remove from the microwave and mix vigorously until well combined. It should resembled a thick bowl of creamy oatmeal.

7. Mix in your desired flavors or toppings.

Paleo Porridge 2

Some of my favorite combinations are: topping with cherries and almonds, mixing in pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, going tropical with some pineapple and shredded coconut topped with coconut manna or taking it in the savory direction with ground turkey, salsa and avocado! The possibilities are endless! P.S – it’s also great with kabocha squash mixed in and topped with sunflower seed butter! I’m just saying… ;)

Paleo Porridge 4

This one has white chia seeds and almond extract mixed in and then topped with some peach slices! It made the perfect afternoon snack!

Nutrition (for the entire recipe, not including any toppings)

Calories: 192.6, Protein: 16.0g, Carbs: 14.0g, Fat: 8.7g (4g Saturated), Sodium: 202mg, Fiber: 10g* (Net Carbs: 4g)

*YUP!! 10g of fiber!! Oh yeah baby! ;)

*********************************************************************************************************************

Comments

• Sarah says

Very easy to alter Jody! You can throw in protein powder in place of the coconut flour and/or flax! Thanks for the tweet too! ;)

1. Elizabeth says

ONG! Thank you thank you thank you! I am going strict paleo on Monday to hopefully combat health issues and I love my oatmeal! I’ve been eating it like crazy before I give up grain and now I’m ecstatic I don’t have to be completely without my power bowl! Plus this is nut free and since im allergic, this is like heaven! I cannot wait to try. Thank you!!!!

• Sarah says

Hi Elizabeth!! I am soooo happy you will be able to use this recipe! It is extremely versatile and easy, which is the best part! I have been eating it almost every day in a variety of flavors! I start a 30 day strict paleo challenge too, so I am very interested to hear what your experience is like! Please feel free to leave me some updates! Also, this month’s recipes will be mostly paleo due to this! Have a great day! :)

• Elizabeth says

That’s awesome to hear that as I follow your blog, you will be starting a paleo challenge too! I’m considering starting a blog just to document it and collect how I’m feeling throughout (because I honestly don’t need a paper trail anymore, lol). But I can’t wait to see your paleo appropriate recipes! I hope that you find some benefit through it as well! :)

• Sarah says

Thanks Elizabeth! I hope so too!! I hope you enjoy the recipes and feel free to share with me anything delicious that you come up with! The more options the better!! P.S – you should absolutely start a blog to document your process! I would love to follow you on your journey! :)

• Sarah says

Hi Janis! Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been looking everywhere for sunflower seed flour, but can’t find it any of my local stores. I may need to buy it online. However, there are also things like chestnut flour (which I do have) that are also allowed too. Thanks for sharing this though! Have you used this product at all?

2. says

Looks YUMMY and a good substitute when you don’t want oats! What can I use instead of coconut flour? Just regular whole wheat flour? Let me know when you have a free moment. THANKS! How crazy is this weather? BLECH!

• Sarah says

Um, yeah, this weather is killing me! Snow, 50 degrees, tornado winds, then snow again! Can’t make up it’s mind! You could try using protein powder. You want something that will absorb the milk so that it becomes thick and creamy! Whole wheat flour might work as well, but you might have to play with the milk ratio a bit! Let me know if you try it!

• Sarah says

Yeah! Let me know how you like it! I absolutely love it because it is so versatile and quick!! Let me know you how flavor it up! :)

3. Allison says

This was delicious! The one thing I had trouble giving up when I went paleo was oatmeal, which managed to sneak its delicious self back in..opps! Now I have a replacement!

• Sarah says

Thank you so much Allison! I definitely know how hard giving up oatmeal can be….especially in the cold winter months! I am so glad you enjoyed this! How did you flavor it? How long have you been doing paleo for?

• Allison says

The first time I just used cinnamon and nutmeg and it was really good but this morning I added some frozen blueberries, one drop of liquid chocolate stevia, and some cinnamon. I also replaced the coconut milk with vanilla almond milk (was out of coconut). DELICIOUS! I was super strict paleo from May of last year to September and since then I’m calling myself “modified paleo.”

• Sarah says

It is sooo amazing with berries on it! I give you MAJOR credit for being a strict paleo for that long! I felt horrible after 48 hours! My body didn’t like all the fat. In what ways are you ‘modifying’ your paleo diet now?

• Allison says

I try to combine the best of the clean eating world and the paleo world. High fat is hard on my body as well. So right now it is no dairy or wheat, both are too hard on my stomach. Absolutely no sugar. Very limited rice and quinoa. I am also trying to decrease my reliance on oats as sometimes there is cross contamination w/wheat, but that is hard. I eat a lot of sweet potatoes for carbs as well as squash and other root vegetables. I eat lean meats and keep to a low/moderate fat intake.

• Sarah says

It sounds like you have a great balance! It is so important to find what works for YOU. I also found the high fat to be very hard on my body. Luckily, I don’t have issues with dairy, but I am intolerant to wheat. I totally understand the oats….they are addictive! Especially when making overnight oats in a jar! YUM!

Trackbacks