Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf 1

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf

Serves: 10

Happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend! Saturday I got a bunch of errands, which was great! However, Sunday was a whole different ball game. I had a horrible nights sleep and woke up feeling really sick to my stomach. I don’t know why, but I really didn’t feel good. My stomach progressively started feeling worse. I thought maybe if I ate something I would feel better, but I couldn’t even get anything to come near my mouth. I ended up spending the majority of the day in bed sleeping on and off. Finally around 4pm, I got up and ate a small meal. I also mustered up some energy to make the boyfriends lunch for today. Then I went back to laying down for the rest of the night. I was able to eat a small meal for dinner too, thank goodness. I was really bummed because it was such a gorgeous day out, but my body just didn’t want to do anything but lay down. Today I woke up feeling a little bit better, but still not 100%. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back up and ‘running’ though. I am going to try to really hydrate today and get some more solid meals in me! Have to keep this engine fueled ;)

So, I know it has been a long awaited week since I first shared a picture of this recipe on instagram, but it has finally arrived! I was going to post it last week, but when I realized Heather had a blueberry theme for today’s Meatless Monday link up, I decided to hold off! You no longer have to wait though….it’s here!!! This recipe is a spinoff of a recipe I made last July! Wow, that was a long time ago! Where does the time go? Well, this version I have to say, is a MILLION times better! :) I have been getting a lot of requests for recipes using whey protein, so I figured, why not start with this one. I have about 900 other flavor combinations running through my head, plus there are a few more protein recipes to come! For my paleo friends, you can sub the whey protein with egg white protein in a 1:1 ratio. This recipe is sure to brighten up your morning!  I hope you enjoy! :)

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf 2

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf 5

Fit Ingredients

• 1/2c (56g) coconut flour
  • 2.5 scoops (~75g) vanilla whey protein powder (or egg protein powder for paleo)
  • 3/4c baking stevia or sweetener of choice (adjust to desired sweetness)
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • 1/2 c + 3 tbs (165g) liquid egg whites
  • 1 c (226g) apple sauce
  • 1 tbs (14g) coconut butter, melted
  • 1 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1 tbs coconut extract, optional

***************************************************

• loaf pan

**************************************************

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Line your loaf pan with parchment paper.

3. In a bowl, whisk together your coconut flour, protein powder, sweetener and baking powder.

4. In a second bowl mix your egg whites, apple sauce, vanilla, coconut butter and coconut extract.

5. Combine your wet and dry ingredients.

6. Fold in your blueberries.

7. Pour your batter into your loaf pan.

8. Bake for ~40-45 minutes.

9. Allow to cool before removing from the pan.

10. Serve smothered in more coconut butter ;)

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf 4

This bread is AMAZING!!! I can’t even describe to you how delicious the coconut flavor with the sweet blueberries is! It is moist and flavorful and all around amazing! Then again, anything with coconut is amazing to me! :) Plus, the nutrition stats rock!!

Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf 3

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Nutrition: (per 1 out of 10 slices)

Calories: 89.9, Protein: 8.9g, Carbs: 8.8g, Fat: 1.7g (1g Saturated), Sodium: 76mg, Fiber: 3g (Net Carbs: 5.8g)

*Now if these aren’t some stats, I don’t know what is!! :)

*Did you do anything fun this weekend?

*Have you remade a recipe before? Was it better or worse?

*Have you joined us in Meatless Mondays A-Z? If not, click below for all the details!!

BWV-Round2-April-Blueberry_thumb

A big THANK YOU to Heather for putting together this creative and delicious link up!

Comments

1. Brooke says

Wow, I wish I wasn’t working today so I could make this NOW. Yum!

Feel better girl! Rest up and drink lots of peppermint tea (I swear that stuff is magic when it comes to nausea!)

2. says

Sarah! You can’t be ill! The weather is just way to nice for that to happen. Keep resting my dear <3

ps. this recipe has me speechless.. in a good way of course
    pps. Email coming your way either later today or tomorrow morning!

3. Nicole says

I know that this SORT OF defeats the purpose entirely, but is there anything I can use as a sub for coconut flour? I think that using a wheat-based (even whole wheat) flour would be less dense and thus require slightly less water, but maybe using Greek yogurt instead of applesauce would make up for it?

• Sarah says

I think you have created your own recipe Nicole! I can say ratio for ratio what a good sub would be since no other flour is like coconut flour. You can try whole wheat but the egg whites will have to be less. You can definitely sub in greek yogurt for the applesauce. There isn’t any water in the recipe, so I am not sure what you mean by that. If you play with it, let me know!

4. says

HOLY YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Course I have a few questions but maybe I should email! ;) No coconut butter in the house – does oil work & are the stats similar?

Dry sweetener – stevia or something like that – not sure what that is. Can you tell I am not a cook or baker! ;)

Is that 165g of liquid egg whites? I need to get the ole Google out & calculate – I don’t know grams & stuff ;)

No matter what – when I figure it out – I AM MAKING!!! YUM!!!!

• Luvena Cervantes says

LOL Jody you asked all the same questions I was going to. Thank you :0). Oh but I was wondering if we could leave out the dry sweetener (whatever it may be) completely? or is there something to sub?

• Sarah says

Hahaha! Updated everything for you! Yes, any oil would work and the stats would be similar — 2 extra calories a slice, fat would be the same and saturated fat would be less. Sweetener can be stevia or whatever powder you like and I put the egg white measurement there! ;) I flopped on this one, huh?! hahaha I am feeling a bit better, kind of weak from lack of food yesterday but the appetite is back, so that’s great!

5. says

PS: So excited abut the recipe that I forgot to say I hope you feel better!!! Sounds like that version of the flu I got at the end of last year. I did not eat for 4 days I got it so bad!!!

6. says

I’m so sorry you were not feeling good yesterday. That is no fun at all :-( However, this recipe is awesome! I’m doing mostly Paleo (well trying to do 100%) but use Whey protein powder still. So not really 100%… I don’t use it often but would like to give egg white a try. Have you tried any that you like?

7. says

I have been waiting for this post since last week–you and your teaser totally got me! This looks delicious.. seriously. I have everything except the apple sauce.. (take note, Haley–buy apple sauce). Happy Monday, Sarah!

• Sarah says

Oh yeah! I love coconut flour! It’s great once you get used to baking with it! I hope you get a chance to try it! :)

8. mallory says

for the dry sweetner. would using a few drops of liquid stevia work or does it need to be the 3/4 cup of dry sweetner to make the texture?

P.s hope u feel better!

• Sarah says

you would have to decrease your egg whites by about 3 tbs or so if you wanted to remove the sweetener. That amount is a guess though since I used the dry sweetener! :)

9. Susan says

Sarah:

thanks for making me drool at my computer screen this morning – the loaf looks deliciously amazing-balls!!

Question: can I sub Sun Warrior natural (no flavour) brown rice protein powder? Then maybe just add some extra vanilla extract?

Hope you feel better soon and will be trying it out either tonight or this weekend,
    Susan

• Sarah says

Hi Susan! So glad you like the recipe! :) The brown rice protein powder will work, however you will need to decrease the amount of liquid egg whites since brown rice protein powder and whey protein are not a 1:1 ratio. I can’t say what the exact amount of egg whites would be since I did not make it using that protein powder! If you give it a try, let me know! :)

• Susan says

Finally got around to making this loaf this weekend and used the SunWarrior Brown Rice protein powder. Since I am not much for tinkering or creating my own receipe I followed the one above but just subbed the protein powder.

The results…taste wise it was good, but very crumbly. Also the loaf didn’t seem to rise at all and looked more like your Cherry Loaf from last July.

• Sarah says

Hi Susan! I am so sorry it didn’t turn out well with the brown rice protein powder. Like I had mentioned, that protein powder and whey protein powder can not be subbed in a 1:1 ratio, so it requires adjustments of the liquid ingredients, which is why it probably didn’t turn out as expected. Protein powder is a VERY finicky thing to work with in baking and unless you get it just right, you can end up with some awful messy recipes!

• Susan says

Hi Sarah:

You did mention that it wouldn’t work perfectly as a 1:1 swap…I just thought I would try my luck :) Like I said it tasted darn good, but I needed a fork to eat it. The brown rice protein powder forced me to be civilized, which isn’t a bad thing.

10. says

I really HAVE been waiting for this recipe :D !!!!!!! Thanks for thinking of me as you made it girl :D you’re the sweetest thing! I don’t have some of the ingredients, so will have to go buy some applesauce, but will be making it for sure :)

I hope you feel better fully by tomorrow xoxo

11. says

This bread looks beautiful – and how sweet that you waited to post, so you could join MMAZ – that really makes my day! :) I don’t know why, but this makes me crave almond butter – I bet the toast would be great with some spread on top!

• Sarah says

Thanks so much Heather!! I am so glad you have this link up! I love the themes!! And almond butter would be AMAZING on top of this! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day! :)

12. says

OMG!!! For right now, forget the brownies!! THIS IS SO FLIPPIN’ GORGEOUS!!! Seriously Sarah, I’m sitting here with my mouth hanging open!! I’m totally with you on the “anything coconut is amazing” so yeah, this has GOT to happen! Plus, I’ve been wanting to try some baking with whey protein powder!

I hope you get to feeling better soon sweetie! Nothing like being blind-sighted by the funk on a nice sunny day! Get well vibes coming your way! :D

• Sarah says

Thanks for the well wishes Heather! :) This recipe was definitely a HUGE win for me! I was shocked at how delicious it came out….and you know how sun light makes the pictures look 900x better! ;)

• Sarah says

Thanks so much Lisa!! I hope you get to try it! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a great night! :)

• Sarah says

Let me know how it turns out for you!!! It is one of my favorites and I have gotten tons of emails about people enjoying it!

• Sarah says

Hi Tracey! Pea protein can’t be subbed in a 1:1 ratio with whey. I do know that…however, I have never baked with it, so I can’t say what the ratios would be

• says

Is it because its drier….I would think just add less protein powder. But I have the whey so I’ll just the original recipe as is and freeze it for a treat here and there.

• Sarah says

I am not sure the exact reason behind it. I just know I have had several readers say that it didn’t work in a 1:1 ratio. But you are welcome to try it out and let me know how it turns out for you! :)

13. Jenna says

Hey, I don’t have any protein powder, so I was wondering, could I perhaps use 1/4 cup oat flour instead, or maybe just use more coconut flour?

• Sarah says

Hi Jenna, funny you should ask this because I actually just tried doing a version last night with oat flour and it was a total fail. You could use more coconut flour, but the bread will be very dense.

14. says

Just put this in the oven but the “batter” was incredibly dry – I added water just to make everything combine but it was definitely not pouring. Is this what the consistence should be like or did I do something wrong?

15. says

I saw you say that pea and rice proteins cannot be subbed 1:1 for whey without changing liquid amounts, but do you have any experience with/suggestions for subbing soy protein powder? Should I mix it with water to form more of a paste first?

• says

Still tinkering with this – I want to love it but cannot get the texture down. Mine looks EXACTLY like the cherry pecan loaf – super dense. What did you do differently with this to make it rise so much better? I have a love/hate relationship with protein powder baking!

• Sarah says

I can’t really say what the problem is for you, Nicole. Everyone else that has made it was successful. I made it several times now and it turns out the same way each time.

• Sarah says

Haha! Ok, I hope it turns out ok soon! Keep in mind that coconut flour DOES make things more dense, so it won’t be light and fluffy if that is what you are thinking! :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] this week’s “create” portion of MMAZ, I had every intention of making Sarah’s Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Loaf, but when it came down to it, I wasn’t feeling very protein-y so I had a look at the other [...]